Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Haunting of Hill House

Stars 3/5
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
This book was written in 1959 and is a classic. The story is about a Dr who had this great idea to invite a few random people to a haunted house for an experiment to see if it was really haunted and what effect it would have on the guests. Nell is the main character and she is a woman who had recently lost her mother after taking care of her for years and blamed herself for her death. Without giving away spoilers, I will say that this book was a slow read for me. I do believe that because of it's age, the scary was just not scary. In fact, I think this had more to do with a mental health issue than a haunting but that is my over rational brain kicking in lol. This book did have a film adaptation called "The Haunting" in which I also watched. I didn't care too much for it though because they changed the film so much to make Catherine Zeta-Jones' character the main which threw the whole story off. I would recommend this book more for the nostalgia than the spooky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment