Monday, February 4, 2019

The Great Alone

Stars 5/5
The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
(note... This book made it to my 2019 Favorites List)

I don't think I can express enough how much I loved this book. This book was amazing from cover to cover. The story follows Leni, a young girl in a very dysfunctional family. A father that was a POW in the Vietnam war that suffers from it and a mother that is so in love with him that she suffers his abuse and stays with him. Leni's father, Ernt, inherits some land from a friend he served with in the war and so he uproots his family to head to Alaska. At first Ernt is happy and learning the lessons of survival but as soon as things get hard he can not control his temper and his wife is brutalized again and again. Leni meets a young guy at school named Matthew and falls in love. Matthew's father wants to improve the town for tourists but Ernt is against this causing a rift in the town. I don't want to go more into the story as to not spoil it but this is a "Must Read"! I highly recommend it. This book made it to my 2019 Favorites List.

No comments:

Post a Comment