Monday, October 23, 2017

The Santa Thief

Stars 4/5
The Santa Thief by Alane Adams
Illustrated by Lauren Gallegos

This book follows a boy named Georgie and how he was really looking forward to Christmas. He had written to Santa for a new pair of ice skates because his was too small. The story was set in the 1920's and I loved how it painted the picture of the hardships and poverty-stricken times but I really didn't care much how it ended. Children are only children for such a short time and I am sure when Georgie was older he would realize that his parents worked and struggled to buy him those skates. He didn't need to have the magic of the season taken away from him like it was. If they wanted to stake claim to the gift in the first place, why even let Georgie believe in Santa? As an adult, I very much enjoyed the beautiful illustrations but I would not recommend it for kids that believe in Santa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment